Monday, December 19, 2011

Medieval Building Part 5

Another small update.  The holidays coming in are impeding my progress.  So expect less updates until christmas has gone by.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Medieval Building Part 4

Really small update.  I need to rethink my strategy/workflow for some of the pieces.  Anyways I switched out my basic brick texture with a more randomized one.  I included a very rough diffuse and normal map render.  I really want to add more geometry to it as it is currently only a plane but every time I attempt to add something, weird things happen.

Medieval Building Part 3

Just an update for tonight.  A render of the low poly pillar with normal map and some texture renders of it.  I'm not too happy with the wood textures right now.  I will rework it later but right now, I want to have more of a blocked in/base textured version of my project so I can figure out what works and what doesn't.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Medieval Building Part 2

Worked on a couple of tilling textures, changed some proportions, added and subtracted some modeling elements.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Medieval Building Part 1

I decided to start a new project.  Inspired by some photographs of medieval buildings with a bit of my own twist.  I haven't yet decided if I want this building to be apartments or stores or even an inn.  Here are some beginning progress images.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Viking Ax Model

Just felt like modeling and sculpting a viking ax.  First time using polypaint in zbrush, jsut to get a feel for the base colour I guess.

Character Concept

Something I've been working on and off for the last 3 days.  Just a simple "light armored" female warrior type character.  I wanted to add more accessories to this concept than I am accustomed to.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tilling Brick Texture

Decided to attempt a tilling texture for a beat up medieval type wall. The last image is of a single plane with the normal map applied to it, I also instanced this plane to see how well these would tile.  I also attempted to use zbrush again and to stay on the grid in 3ds max.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wood Pallet Model

Decided to try out some wood texturing.  So I made a low-poly model, a high-poly model and baked the normal maps.  I also found that modeling the nails separately and baking it onto a plane to get the normal (which I then overlayed onto the normals of the pallet in photoshop) was a far more efficient method than actually modeling the nails on each plank of wood.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Finished Dumpster?

I think it's done.  I might tweak a thing or two for portfolio use.  I included the diffuse/spec/normal maps.  All photo source textures were taken from cgtextures.

Friday, September 16, 2011

More Dumpster Normals

The past few days have been filled with normal map issues and research and successes followed by more problems.  I understand them a lot better now, but it doesn't excuse my lack of experience with them.  I need more practice.  I finally managed to get some decent bakes out of XNormal using custom cages imported out of 3dsmax (mainly because making them in XNormal was kind of a pain for anything involving more than just a cage push.)  I ran into issues regarding exporting custom cages out of 3ds max, but I finally managed to figure it out.  Anyways I'm getting pretty excited about texturing, I've spent this entire week teaching myself about normal maps... I need an artistic break from all that theory.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My First Victory against Normal Maps!!!

I finally got a result that did not display those horrible black edges!!!  It was a combination of setting up a cage in XNormal, finding out that max uses X+Y-Z+ swizzle in the tangent space (although I was fixing the green channel in PS anyways before I knew this), and that the low-poly cage had to be pushed to the point where the high-poly is covered.

This is the result I baked straight out of XNormal, I didn't edit anything in PS.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dumpster High-Poly Sculpt Test

Did a quick little test of the dumpster again in mudbox (just to get a better idea of the final result, I plan on resculpting most of the parts and spend more time on them).  I will probably have to alter the low-poly to include some of the dent geometry from the high-poly.  I overdid the wear and tear on the side attachment pieces, so I'll probably hold back a bit when I work on the next version (though I'd imagine that those pieces would contain the most wear and tear based on their outer location and the fact that those pieces are what the trucks grab onto).

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dumpster High-Poly

Working on the high-poly version of the dumpster.  I had a few problems with the side attachments (where the truck grabs the dumpster to lift it up), in that I had to separate the triangle supports from the main side piece.  It look weird, I may have to go back and fix it if the baking doesn't work out too well.